Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Host Family


Of the many experiences of Pro Ball one of the best is living with a host family. Throughout my baseball career I have lived with 4 different families over the course of 6 years. Instead of living in an apartment in a foreign city, you are thrust into a family that integrates you into their lives utterly. From Utah, Kansas, Texas, and Michigan one is able to experience the culture of an area of the country so much better through the eyes of those who live there. Whether it is spending a day on Lake Michigan, going to hockey practice, or just going to eat after one of my games, I definitely don't see where I live as just a place to lay my head. It's the people that make life what it is! This year I am living with the same family as I lived with last year, Bob and Lisa Bean with their twins Carter and Chloe, (as well as their two little dogs, Lulu and Cici). Growing up I always wanted to be a big brother, and so I have really enjoyed the thrill and responsibility of living with 9 year old twins. The Bean's love and support is amazing, and over time you begin to feel like you are apart of their family. For Easter lunch I went over to Lisa's grandmothers house along with 30 members of their extended family. One thing that I asked my teammate and roommate Jordan Pratt last night was, "how many people have you gotten to know that you never would have because of the game of baseball?" It's unbelievable if I stop and think about it, but it also makes one ask the question why do I get to experience all of this? Minor league baseball could be viewed as just a quick stop on the way to the big leagues but I feel that is so much bigger than that. At the end of the day, I hope I am not just remembered for what I did on the field, but for all the relationships I made and the people I grew to love!

No comments: