Saturday, June 6, 2009

Reading Rainbow

I never thought all those years ago when I watched that show in my pajamas after nap time that I would enjoy reading as much as I do today, but given all the free time we have here it has become one of my favorite hobbies. (If you don't know what I am talking about, google Levar Burton, and you seriously missed out on your childhood experience.) But free time you ask? That is correct.

On a normal home game we will arrive to the field around 1 o'clock and besides hitting in the cage and getting some treatment if you are nursing an injury we will have around 2.5 hours or so to just hang out in our locker room and lounge area before hitting batting practice. In addition to that, following batting practice we will have around an hour and a half before we have to be out for the game. A lot of the guys will play cards, watch whatever is on t.v. in the afternoon which could be anything from a hunting show, Sportscenter for the 5th re-run that day, or a movie, or they will make a few phone calls to catch up with family and friends back home. Personally, I have found that if you don't stimulate your mind somehow then the routine of this life will really start to get to you. Outside of the occasional phone call and writing an email or two, which I really enjoy doing, I love to read during that time.

Something interesting that I have noticed over my three years of doing this is that when you have a few readers on the team, it spreads like wildfire. It just takes a book to be read by one or two guys and then instantly it is passed around the team with a waiting list formed for guys to get their hands on it. I thought I would share with you one book that has been passed around our team recently. It is called Beyond Belief by Josh Hamilton. It is his story of being drafted 1st overall in the 1999 MLB players draft before succumbing to the addiction of drugs and alcohol which eventually drove him away from the game. He shares very candidly his amazing story of how after being out of baseball for two years Jesus changed his life, and freed him of his demons that had chained him for so long. He returned to the game he loved and is now one the best in the big leagues!

I have yet to see one of my teammates take longer than three days to read that book...even if they haven't read one in over a year. There is something inside them, in me, that loves the idea of redemption and of a baseball player getting a second chance in a game that has so few. I believe it's deeper and for all of us when we think of his story; the question being posed is "am I really redeemable?" To that I say, "yes my dear friend, you are!" Thank you Jesus!

Happy Reading

1 comment:

Whitty said...

And I sure am glad you enjoy those afternoon phone calls and emails ;)