Wednesday, March 11, 2009

1200 miles of concrete


There is just something about driving across the country. Maybe it's the open road, maybe it's the freedom, or maybe it's the tire and hub cap that shoots across the medium from a blow out on a car going the opposite direction and barely misses totaling your car and ending your trip...and maybe your life. True story. On a trip that consisted of 1200 miles, 3 states, 5 gas fill ups, and a really bad truck stop buffet, it's the experiences along the way that will edge the lines of my memory. Besides experiences, I found myself thinking a lot during my time staring at the concrete ahead of me. Thinking about the off season, Spring Training, my baseball career, my life, people that I care about, and the Lord. Life gets so fast and so crazy that it's just hard to stop, get quiet, and look inward to see where it's wrong and where in my life that I desperately need to ask God for mercy. But on a road trip, you have all the time in the world and you are forced to think. I wonder what would happen if we as people did that more? I wonder if that's why everything around us keeps us from doing just that? Maybe there is a battle playing out right in front of us...fighting over silence. Never thought 1200 miles of concrete would lead to a war, but if staying where you are at keeps you from the quiet then hit the road!

No comments: