Monday, July 6, 2009

Fireworks and Freedom


Independence Day! For many, this day of celebration means picnics, boat rides, 3 day weekends, and special memories with friends and family. But for a minor league baseball player, the 'show' must go on. I have spent many July 4th's on a diamond all over the country, this year being Fort Wayne, IN. Even though we play 140 games throughout the season there is something extra special about this one. The stands are always packed with a sell out crowd anxious to watch America's favorite pastime as well as the one tradition that is shared by all, fireworks!

Following the game, I stayed in the dugout to watch the beautiful array of colors, patterns, and explosions from a front row seat. As I sat there I began to think about the celebration at hand. Two teams, thousands of fans, and all the stadium employees sharing the joy of our freedom together by looking up in 'awe and wonder'. In that moment there was nothing else that mattered; who got a hit that night, which pitcher won the game, what our record was on the year, or all the frustrations that this life brings. Just the excitement of the fireworks being shot in the air in response to what happened on July 4th, 1776. Not to sound cliche, but it was kind of a 'freeing' feeling.

In the hotel room that night I began to think about this being bigger than just a few cracks and pops in the air. I wonder what would happen if I just stopped and celebrated my freedom more often? Not freedom that can be given and taken away at the hands of men, but a freedom that is eternal. When I get anxious, frustrated with situations, or just overwhelmed with something, if only I just stopped and celebrated my freedom. In the same way as that 'freeing' feeling that watching fireworks brings, there is a weight lifted when I realize all that was done for me and given to me by the One who gives us the only freedom that we're looking for.

July 4th is just one day a year, it ends and the fireworks are put away until next year...

The freedom I'm talking about, makes me look up....in 'awe and wonder'!!

3 comments:

Us said...

hi parker,
hope you had a good 4th! we got your sweet note..thanks! we loved getting to see you and celebrate your bday! hope to see you soon!

Teri Bono said...

another awesome blog, parker----thanks so much for these very wise words!

Caroline and Kyle said...

Happy birthday Parker (today is the 7th) I'm so glad you have a blog..I have taken an interested to blogging :) I met your brother when I was in Houston with Kyle..He's a hoot. Hope all is well !!!
Caroline